This time in our questionnaire we welcome a true grey eminence of the #menswear scene in Poland: a man who knows (almost) everyone, but is known by (almost) no one. Enter Mateusz Łohutko, co-founder of Sartolane.
Author: Mateusz Tryjanowski & Poszetka.com + Mateusz Łohutko
1. Tell us briefly about yourself. What do you do and what is your everyday life like?
I've been running Sartolane for the last 6 years, that's what I do every day. :)
2. How did you discover menswear and how did this journey begin?
It seems to me that my adventure began with observing my parents, who at the time of my upbringing - in the 90s - used to dress very well and attached great importance to their outfits. My mother always had her suits, costumes and coats tailor-made. This led to the moment when at the age of 20 I came to the conclusion that this is the perfect time to have my first bespoke overcoat. This was the first piece that somehow started it all.
3. How would you describe your everyday style? Do you have any particular style that you love and stick to?
Every day I look practically the same: jeans, white T-shirt, sweater (sometimes a crewneck, sometimes a turtleneck) and Adidas Samba sneakers. I also try to have some kind of cap on my head all year round. My outfit choices are directly influenced by the fact that I often have to spend time at the factory where a shirt or a jacket would not be practical. The only thing I experiment with are colors. I try to incorporate those that are not natural to me gradually into my wardrobe and convince myself.
4. Your favourite piece of clothing?
I've always loved a good coat. One can make man wear a suit, but it is a coat that tells you more about a wearer.
5. Your favourite, most worn pair of shoes?
On daily basis, definitely my Adidas Sambas. For more formal occasions, my brown Yanko 435 brogues, they have the perfect shape and color for me.
6. The single favourite item in your wardrobe?
I would say jeans, but I don't have one favourite pair. That's why I say M65 - I bought a true, unissued deadstock jacket and basically wear it all the time.
7. The garment that you have been dreaming of, but still have not acquired?
A proper, double-breasted, bottle green overcoat. I am currently searching for the perfect fabric.
8. Your biggest style icon and the biggest inspiration?
I don't have any particular style icon. I don't really look for inspiration around - my everyday style is just too boring for it.
9. Tell us three of your favourite, most inspiring (menswear related) Instagram accounts.
As I already mentioned, I also don't use this medium very often.
10. What makes you like Poszetka.com the most?
Successfully merging art with fashion. It is not an easy task, but you do it very well.
11. Your favourite product from Poszetka.com range? What would you recommend in particular?
Pocket squares with cities on them. They are just great!
12. What are your hobbies apart from your job and the menswear world?
The food (and hobby at the same time) that allows me to function normally is pizza - I eat it 2-3 times a week on average, sometimes more. I make pizza myself (I think I'm already past 1000 times) and try to keep track of any new premises that are worth visiting in Warsaw. When I go somewhere on a trip, it's hard to convince me to eat anything else. Additionally, the only sport that absorbs me is Formula 1. I watch it regularly since the 2005 season.
Thank you Mateusz for the talk. It was a pleasure!